Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Finally, The Iowa Caucus is almost over!

We are finally on the eve of the Iowa caucuses and thus the real beginning of the 2008 presidential primary. For a while, it seemed like it would never get here. I don’t know about you, but I’m tired of all the hype and build-up. I just want to get them over with and get this primary going.

To be sure, the Iowa caucuses definitely matter, a lot. The winner of this event has a good chance to become the party’s nominee for president, so it is definitely important to the candidates (By the way, this calls into question Rudy’s strategy of basically sitting this one out). I just think that there’s not a lot else to say going into this primary.

We know that there are essentially 5 candidates on the Republican side and 3 on the Democratic side that are still contending for the nomination. We also know that Romney and Huckabee are the favorites to win on the Republican side, while any of the top 3 could win on the Democratic side.

What we don’t know is how these results will affect the rest of the presidential primaries. No matter how much the so-called experts claim to know the night before, the days after will usually prove that they really didn’t know that much at all, they were just looking for something new to say.

As for me, I have no predictions on who will win this first primary. I ‘feel’ like the two winners will be Romney and Edwards, but I don’t have any solid data to back that up. How will these results affect the rest of the race, who knows. It depends a lot on how things are reported and how the candidates spin their results.

Until then, I am just grateful that this primary is almost over. It’s gone on for almost a year now and many candidates have practically put up second residences in the state. Finally, we can move on to New Hampshire and the rest of the states. I believe the people of Iowa will also be very thankful when this is over.

No comments: